Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

What Makes Total Strangers Family?

I only know a hand full of the people in this photo yet they are all my family. This year I was able to meet and  work with so many relatives that I had never met before all because a distant cousin asked me to be the chairperson for our bi-annual family reunion. It was so much fun to work with everyone and get to know so many members of my family that up to this point were total strangers to me. What is it about the word family that causes you to feel an instant bond the moment you realize you are related? Does everyone feel that way when they meet a relative for the very first time? I felt a connection with most of the people here in one form or another so it was a real blessing to me to be able to meet them all. I have a wonderful family.

The greatest joy was being able to see two of my first cousins, that I actually DO know, that I hadn't seen for over 30 years. We had a wonderful time (although way too short) getting reacquainted again.
I am really excited for the next reunion in two years. It has made so much difference in my enthusiasm for these reunion now that I actually know some of the family members that attend them. I'm so glad I got over my initial anxiety about being the chairperson and said yes when the request came to me. I would have really missed out on a wonderful opportunity to turn total strangers into family and friends had I turned it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment